Wednesday, July 17, 2013

-Urbane Spotlight- Ashley Sorrell



Stumbling across a fellow Claflinite's ReverbNation & YouTube, with the press of play, hearing the vocals of Ashley Sorrell automatically gave me an expressive, soulful, and rhythmic vibe. Hailing from the home of Motown Records Detroit, MI, Ashley has always had a passion for music. Singing to songwriting, she states that it is something that memorizes her. 

With an inspiration to fulfill everything that she aspires for in life, and giving her mother the world, Ashley says "Only accomplishing my purpose will bring me true happiness. Anything else will truly have to follow suit." When you think about today's music industry, many artist give off perceptions of what "famous" is instead of truly being themself. Ms. Sorrell focuses very hard on showcasing being herself, she feels that the obstacles that come to her in life are for the betterment of herself and continue working towards being great and not looking at them as a roadblock or something that she cannot conquer. 

'Work For It' Ashley Sorrell ft. Calicoe

Currently working on her project, "Take It From Here" releasing later in the year, when describing her musical style, she states "People ask me that all the time and I still don't have an answer. I just sing. I've been told that my voice is unique so that makes me standout.. but I still don't know for sure what's unique about it. My style is just me. I sing from the heart so that makes my music genuine." Also working towards going back to school for audio engineering, Ashley says that she is looking forward to mastering her own music and working with other artist as well as engineering for them. We all know that being a independent artist seems to have more freedom than a mainstream artist, I asked Ashley to weigh in on this popular subject, "Being an independent artist is just what it is, being independent. Having your own mind & freedom over your artistry. From my observance, the industry execs. try to mold you into who they want you to be & what will sell or appeal to the people. That doesn't go for everyone, though. Some people come in the game, don't change and really sustain. I believe it depends on what you tolerate as  a person and artist. I, for instance, will initially be independent for a while. I'm going to brand myself, create my image then consider signing to a label. I know what I want and how I want to do it so no one will taint my vision."


Being that Ashley's stage name is her birth name, she didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to stylize her name or make up a stage name like most artists, with the unique last name Sorrell she stands out as is and likes to keep it original. Having worked with artist such as Calicoe & Lenox Price, Ashley says artist such as Ravaughn, Tamar Braxton, Laura Mvula, J. Cole, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Big K.R.I.T  are just a few out of many that she can really relate and vibe along with their music. 


I asked Ashley about the true meaning of calling yourself a artist, and she accordingly answered, "A legitimate artist is someone who is truly creative with their art," she goes on to say, "Simply putting words together that rhyme and copying others style is not artistic at all. Now in music there is a lack of true effort and authenticity. This issue is evident in today's rap game. People put out a track with the same concept/lyrics to a different beat and think they're the best out. It just doesn't work like that. I can almost blame the listener because they accept and praise it but it's up to the "artist" to do more than the average and put in that extra work to be different."

We can expect "Take It From There" from Ashley later in the year, but this motor city native also has another project, possibly an album up her sleeve in 2014. Looking forward to "good music, good vibes, and progress," Ashley is living with the motto "Do more, be more."
"Life influences me. From what I see, experience, my predicament...If one way doesn't work, find another way to get it." - Ashley Sorrell

  
'Want You To Stay' Ashley Sorrell

Connect With Ashley Sorrell



Keeping A Close Eye, UMG Halle' W

0 comments:

Post a Comment